10 Things to Love about Mountain Village in the Summer
The town of Telluride, Colorado, evokes many things for different people — world-class skiing, the Bluegrass Festival, the Telluride Film Festival, etc., but most people aren’t aware that a free, short gondola ride away is the town of Mountain Village. Skiers flock to Mountain Village in the winter to be close to the slopes and ski school, but this small hamlet is sometimes forgotten during the summer season, even though it has a lot to offer visitors to the area!
1. Peaceful – Since most of the major festivals and events happen in Downtown Telluride during the summer, Mountain Village remains a peaceful, serene escape from everything. Guests enjoy the peace and quiet in the quaint European-style core area or REALLY get away from everything in a house along the thawed out Telluride Ski Resort slopes.
2. Sunset Concert Series – Every Wednesday evening throughout the summer, an open air concert takes place on the Sunset Plaza lawn for FREE. Music lovers bring blankets, snacks, and the entire family to enjoy live music and a beautiful sunset. Shows in the past have featured The Avett Brothers, Grace Potter & the Nocturnals, Taj Mahal and more.
3. Golf – It will be hard to stay focused because Telluride Ski & Golf’s 18-hole golf course is located among the highest concentration of 13,000 and 14,000-foot peaks in North America. The Telluride Golf Club, open from May to mid-October, is a spectacular way to spend an afternoon in the outdoors. Playing golf at 9,000+ feet in altitude creates less resistance against the golf ball during flight, translating to 15% more distance on your drives.
4. Frisbee Golf Course – Located across the street from Town Hall Plaza, a free Double Cabin Disc Golf Course is available from 7 a.m. to sunset during the entire summer. Players aim for the metal baskets and the fewest number of throws wins. A great mix of hiking, friendly competition, and outdoor scenery… this activity is perfect for all ages.
5. Trampoline & Adventure Rock – Located in the Heritage Plaza and the Conference Center Plaza, are a couple adrenaline activities for adults and kids alike. Get strapped in and catapult into the air on the trampoline bounce or test your strength on the free-standing, man-made climbing rock.
6. Mountain Biking – The greater Telluride region offers some of the best mountain biking in the region behind Moab, UT. From the San Sophia Station (top of the Gondola), access the Mountain Village Bike Park with five trails stretching three miles along the ski slopes. The trails are equipped for all ability levels.
7. Trail running and hiking – From the San Sophia Station, your hiking and running opportunities are endless. Hike up to the top of Gold Hill, run along the thawed out ski slopes, or simply build up your appetite by hiking down to the Mountain Village Center for lunch.
8. Free scenic Gondola – The scenic and very unique Gondola that separates Telluride and Mountain Village is a spectacular 13-minute ride and is 100% free. The Gondola is the first and only free public transportation system of its kind in the United States and is worth every minute. Don’t forget your camera!
9. Red, White, & Blues – a pre July 4th celebration, the Red, White, & Blues concert is a great way to spend time with family & friends while listening to free music. Face painting, trampoline bounce, and an ice cream social will ensure your kids a great time. Kick off the holiday weekend with great music and even better views.
10.Festival of the Arts – Every August, share a common passion for local art, food, wine, and spirits as art lovers meet in the Mountain Village core for the Festival of the Arts. This annual weekend culinary and visual arts event, produced by the same folks as the Cherry Creek Arts Festival, features a Grand Tasting, nationally juried art show, and delicious local culinary.
For the more information about events, activities and accommodations in the Mountain Village and Telluride area visit Telluride.com. Telluride Alpine Lodging, the exclusive lodging provider for Telluride.com, offers a varied range of vacation rental accommodations throughout Telluride and Mountain Village, Colorado. We feature a large selection of hotel rooms, one, two and three bedroom condominiums and premier homes – each offering a diverse range in location, décor and price.